Maintaining Board Certification Policies & Fees
Enrollment and Schedules
- New Diplomates are enrolled in MOC beginning January 1st of the calendar year after successfully passing the Board Certification exam.
- Each MOC cycle is 3 years in length.
- A 4th remediation year may be granted if a Diplomate has not met all requirements by the end of the 3-year cycle. The Diplomate’s status will be changed to Not Current during this year.
- Failure to complete all requirements by the end of the remediation year will require a Diplomate to retake the board certification exam. The exam must be taken within 2 years of the end of the remediation year. Diplomates who successfully pass the exam will be placed into a new 3-year MOC cycle and their status will be updated to Current. Diplomates who do not successfully complete the exam within 2 years of the end of the remediation year will lose the board certification credential and must re-apply and meet post-graduate requirements before being approved to sit for the exam again.
An annual MOC fee of $225 is due each January 1st. This fee covers program essentials including:
- Portal access to all ABO MOC activities and personal Learning Plan page to track status
- Developing SAMs and maintaining SAM and PPM library
- Access to COPE-approved quarterly webinars
- Verifications provided for all third-party requests
- Developing CAP assessments, which eliminates the cost of taking a secure examination every 10 years
- Administration of program elements
The fee may be paid online through your Learning Plan page, over the phone by calling the ABO office at 314-983-4226 or by check, mailed to:
American Board of Optometry
243 N Lindbergh Blvd.
St. Louis, MO 63141
Payments received after March 31st each year will be charged a $25 late fee.
I'M A DIPLOMATE/CANDIDATE
LEARNING BUILDER ACCOUNT ACCESS
Check Board Certification Status
By going through the voluntary process of becoming board certified, our diplomates demonstrate competence beyond entry level.