CAP Frequently Asked Questions
At least 50 of the 100 required hours must be COPE-approved CE or CE earned from completing CAP assessments. Up to 50 hours may be from non-COPE activities such as vendor presentations, procedure observations, grand rounds, supervising residents or externs and authoring articles. For a complete overview of the CE point guide system, click here.
ABO also offers up to 51 free CE credits through our quarterly webinar series and successful completion of each mini-assessment.
No, CE may not be carried over.
No, SAMs may be completed at any time prior to the 3 year evaluation.
No, the QIA may be completed at any time prior to the 3 year evaluation.
- Each assessment is 25 questions in length
- Use your own computer or mobile device to access through your Learning Plan page
- Take it at a time and place that is convenient for you
- Topics and references are provided in advance
- Questions are timed at 10 minutes each
- Outside sources may be used to answer questions, however, you may not solicit the help of others
- Each assessment will be available for 4 months
- Pause and restart the assessment at any time between questions
- Receive immediate feedback after each question
- Successful completion of each assessment will earn you 3 Category 1 CE points
Yes. There is an annual fee of $225 due each January 1st. This fee covers program essentials including:
- Portal access to all ABO MOC activities and personal Learning Plan page to track status
- Developing SAMs and maintaining SAM and PPM library
- Access to COPE-approved quarterly webinars
- Verifications provided for all third-party requests
- Developing CAP assessments, which eliminates the cost of taking a secure examination every 10 years
- Administration of program elements
If one or more of the requirements are not met by the end of the 3 year evaluation period, Diplomates will use the 4th year as a remediation year, during which all outstanding requirements will need to be completed. At the end of the remediation year, if all requirements have been met, Diplomates will begin a new 4-year MOC cycle the following year.
I'M A DIPLOMATE/CANDIDATE
LEARNING BUILDER ACCOUNT ACCESS
Check Board Certification Status
By going through the voluntary process of becoming board certified, our diplomates demonstrate competence beyond entry level.