With Full Deliberation, I Freely And Solemnly Pledge That:
- I will practice the art and science of optometry faithfully and conscientiously, and to the fullest scope of my competence.
- I will uphold and honorably promote by example and action the highest standards, ethics and ideals of my chosen profession and the honor of the degree, Doctor of Optometry, which has been granted me.
- I will provide professional care for those who seek my services, with concern, with compassion and with due regard for their human rights and dignity.
- I will place the treatment of those who seek my care above personal gain and strive to see that none shall lack for proper care.
- I will hold as privileged and inviolable all information entrusted to me in confidence by my patients.
- I will advise my patients fully and honestly of all which may serve to restore, maintain or enhance their vision and general health.
- I will strive continuously to broaden my knowledge and skills so that my patients may benefit from all new and efficacious means to enhance the care of human vision.
- I will share information cordially and unselfishly with my fellow optometrists and other professionals for the benefit of patients and the advancement of human knowledge and welfare.
- I will do my utmost to serve my community, my country and humankind as a citizen as well as an optometrist.
- I hereby commit myself to be steadfast in the performance of this my solemn oath and obligation.
Adopted by the American Optometric Association and the Association of Schools and Colleges of Optometry.