Board Certification Examination Periods:
Each January and July
Registration Period: Opens approx. 3 months before examination period
Exam Fee: $950 (There is a reduced fee for recent graduates and residents. Please contact our office to see if you qualify.)
Candidate selects a date for a full-day (7 hour) examination. Two examination windows are planned each year in January and July. To check seat availability at a Prometric Test Center prior to registration:
- Visit the Prometric website.
- Click Locate a Test Center.
- Select state, then click Next.
- Enter ZIP code, then click Search.
- Click Availability to see seat availability at each test center.
- Available dates are highlighted in blue.
To Register and Pay for the Examination:
- Log in to www.americanboardofoptometry.org.
- Click Register. Once payment is accepted, you will be transferred to the Prometric website to schedule your appointment. (You can also reschedule or confirm your appointment on the Prometric website.)
Examination results are typically released about two months following the exam period.
31 Days Prior to Scheduled Exam: Last day to cancel, change testing date or change location without $25 change fee.
7 Days Prior to Scheduled Exam: Last day to withdraw from exam, or change test date or location, without $200 cancellation fee.